Apple Macintosh Dialup Setup
Due to lack of adequate software and security updates, TaosNet can no longer support Mac OS versions before 10.4.11 (Mac OS X Tiger).
Step 1: Opening the Network Preferences
- Clicking on the apple icon on the top left portion of the screen will cause a menu to drop down.
- Select the menu item "System Preferences" and click.
- In the new window that just appeared, click on the icon labeled "Network".
Step 2: Setting up the PPP Preferences
- At the top of the preferences window, there should be two pop-down menus. The "Location" should be "Automatic". Click on the one titled "Show:" and select "Modem Port".
- Just below the menu you just selected, is a Tabbed View. Click on the Tab with the heading "TCP/IP".
- Click on the pop-down menu "Configure" and set it to "Using PPP".
- In the text box titled "DNS Servers" make sure that it is empty.
- Click on the Tab titled "PPP".
- In the text field labeled "Password:" type your TaosNet password.
- In the text field titled "Telephone Number:" type 751-9590. If you have Call Waiting, use "*70,," before the phone number. For the Alternate Number, use 737-0000. You may get a better connection with a particular number, so feel free to switch the order of these two phone numbers.
- If you want the computer to remember your password, click on the "Save password" checkbox.
- Click on the "Apply Now" button at the bottom of the window.
- Click on the Modem tab at the top of the window and check the box at the bottom labeled "Show Modem Status in Menu Bar". You may now Quit the System Preferences.
Step 3: Connecting to the Internet
In the top right part of your screen should be an icon that looks like a phone. This is the Modem Status that we turned on in item 10 of Step 2 above. Click on it, and choose the "Connect" menu item. Once connected, start your browser or e-mail program and have fun!